Usability and Blogs by Nielsen
Jakob Nielsen’s October 17th Alertbox is on Weblog Usability: The Top Ten Design Mistakes. Many of his ideas are based on his prior work with web site usability, but some are particular to blogs:
- Author biographies are not necessary, although information about the author is important, as it provides your credentials.
- Provide a photo.
- Provide descriptive titles to your posts.
- Link text should provide the reader with information conerening the link’s destination.
- Bring your best posts to the front page.
- Provide navigation in addition to the calendar, e.g., categories.
- Publish on a regular schedule.
- The more focused your blog, the more likely you will have a loyal following.
- Don’t forget that your blog will be available in perpetuity — your future boss may be reading it.
- Use a domain name of your own, not one from the blogging service you use.
Nielsen provides a summary for each item. Definitely good reading!