The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) is starting a new working group — WHATWG, the Web Hypertext Application Technology Working Group — that has as its goal ” . . . to do incremental improvements to HTML, as also in parallel xHTML.” Apparently, the move to well-formed mark-up, e.g., XHTML, has been slower than anticipated. The result is that the W3C has realized that this type of change should be done incrementally; hence, this new working group to do just this.
There will also be a second group that will work on XHTML2. This group will not be dependent upon the work of the group above.
WHATWG is asking for comments from you:
- Are there any limitations with HTML that you would like to see fixed?
- Do you have any ideas for new features?
- Is there anything you can do now in HTML, but would like to see improved?
- Do you have any concerns about the development process?
- Do you have any feedback about the new features in the current drafts?
- Do you have any questions about HTML 5?