NEH Grant to Digitize Texas Newspapers
The University of North Texas Libraries, The University of Texas’ Center for American History, Texas Tech University’s Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, and the Texas State Library and Archives Commission have received a two-year We The People grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities to digitize Texas newspapers. Ultimately, these newspapers will be available through UNT’s Portal to Texas History and TSLAC’s Texas Heritage Online.
Other Texas organizations to receive funding under the We The People project include:
- Bayou Bend Visitor and Education Center, Houston, construction of a new visitor and education center
- East Texas Research Center Preservation Survey, Nacogdoches, preservation assessment of the materials housed in the Center
- University of North Texas, Klallam Dictionary and Electronic Text Archive, Denton, preparing a dictionary of Klallam and archiving related materials
- The University of Texas at Austin, Black and Latino Civil Rights Strategies in World War II Texas and the Southwest, 1940-1965, a study
- Texas A&M University, Mark Twain: The Mysterious Stranger [a biography],