Security Precautions for Wireless on Laptops
March 26, 2008Posted by on
Excellent article on the things to consider while traveling with your laptop:
If you don’t have time to read it, here are the high points:
- Keep it with you at all times
- Use a cable lock if you have to leave it out – lock it to something permanent, not a table leg 😉
- Place important documents on a USB/flash drive that is encrypted
- Password your BIOS
- Password important files/directories on your laptop
- When connecting to a “foreign” network, be sure you have a personal firewall working and up to date
- Be sure you’re connecting to a legitimate wireless network – ask the organization/hotel/conference which one you should connect to
- Use a VPN if at all possible, as they are difficult to hack
- Turn off file sharing unless you need it
- If you aren’t using the wireless capability, turn it off!
Excellent advice from ExtremeTech!